Friday, March 16, 2018

Wasteland

Fear needs to back the fuck up.
It's everywhere these days and
I have lived long enough with
Dread as my constant. Whispering
nightmares in my ear with every
step. If they are laughing it must
be at me. All sweet moments
Become bleak desert. Parched,
Searching, misled by mirages.
Dark insinuations, he stops me
From connecting. Clamps off
Life force until my withered bones
Scatter in the desert dust. Now that
Fear is more stranger than sidekick
My biggest fear is circling back
To that wasteland. How do I keep
Its vultures from ripping my newly
Quickened flesh? My body no
Longer belongs to fear. I fear being
Unable to keep it that way.

© Amber Keating, 03.16.18

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and providing feedback. Have a great day!

Ode to SCI

My eyes settle on boundless green Sunlight dancing on clouds A place to rest These heavy bones Cheers and laughter Bubbling all aroun...