Monday, April 2, 2018

Misplaced

I have lost so many things in this life. Phone, keys (why can't I keep track of keys?), pens, emails, texts, boyfriends, books, clothes, girlfriends, laughter, sleep. I could count my years by what I've lost. They are numerous, yet less painful by far than losing you. Though really I'm not sure I ever had you. Ever knew you. Did you know me? Did you care? You gave me body and breath. These dark chocolate eyes, bubbling laugh, and milkwhite skin. A dimple just there when I smile. Oh you stole that smile so many times.  See what you made me do? No. Never. Not anything will you be. Were you jealous? I know your own life was so hard and empty. It left your heart the same. You rejoiced when I left. Reveled in finding my car still half full of my things, stealing it away under cover of creeping fog. There was nothing the police could do. It was in both our names. So many things I never saw again, thanks to you. The quilt Grandma made. The doll bed Dad made. Things handcrafted just for me, when you couldn't be bothered to keep a baby book. There were more losses. Fear. Over shoulder looking. Caring for everyone but me. Jumping to please. The fake smile saying I was fine when I was anything but. They took longer to lose, decades. When the facade of your love was gone in an instant. Overnight and over years, I was changed. But one thing I am glad of, I could never lose me.
© Amber Keating, 04.02.18

7 comments:

  1. I hope you can feel the love I'm sending you from so far away. One thing I'm sure of - you'll never lose me. - liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is beautiful and powerful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of all the things we have in common, this is the one I wish we didnt. Beautiful writing indicates beautiful spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So heartbreaking, so raw, SO POWERFUL!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and providing feedback. Have a great day!

Ode to SCI

My eyes settle on boundless green Sunlight dancing on clouds A place to rest These heavy bones Cheers and laughter Bubbling all aroun...