Sunday, July 14, 2019

Anywhere but in Between

It's been a while since I've posted here, so I thought I'd get back to it.  I participated in National Poetry Writing Month (NaPoWriMo) again this year.  Though I didn't write every day that month, I did write a lot. I'm trying to re-commit to regular writing practice, whether poetry or journaling. It really helps me organize my thoughts and sort through what I'm feeling. So here's to continuing to practice that which is good for us.  Here is one of my favorite poems from my NaPoWriMo experience, about the most important album in my life:

25 years later
These lyrics are still
Heart tears deepest joy
Healing what my mouth
Cannot find right words for
Always searching
I was still in high school then
My final year
[I need a raincoat]
If I had known what was coming 
Maybe I could have...
Little protection from
The storm to come
[She must be tired of something]
How did they know
Arranging truth 
To fledgling power
I listened late
Portable CD player
Humming beside pillow
Carried delicately across
College campuses
One of clipped wings
Then thrust into freedom
[And I'm not ready for this sort of thing]
Life has a hunger that doesn't wait
Ready or not, here I come
Falling and flying and flailing 
Learning in sun soaked salty air
I still remember my toes in sand
When I need some earthly connection
21st century, L.A. became home
It was [August & Everything After] that year 
Album title matching song 
Released two and a half decades later
Knowing now to the core
[I belong anywhere but in between]
What I only guessed before
He's a big part of that
Adam & company, sure, but
I mean my partner in
Heart tears deepest joy
He loves this album, too
We planned a trip to a concert
That didn't happen
[It's the heart that matters more]
He recently made a playlist
Studio and live versions blended 
Still laughing these years later
How we found a dive bar
Beer and fried ravioli 
Because Adam was sick
[Mr. Jones and me / look into the future]
© 2019 Amber Keating, All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading and providing feedback. Have a great day!

Ode to SCI

My eyes settle on boundless green Sunlight dancing on clouds A place to rest These heavy bones Cheers and laughter Bubbling all aroun...